"So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy"
~Colossians 1:10-11

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dirty Dozen and Clean 15- 2010 recommendations

Here is the latest list on the "Dirty Dozen" - produce you want to try and buy organic or from a "clean" farm if at all possible and a list of the Clean 15 - cleanest produce you can buy conventionally grown.

My list was complied from here and here and here and here!

Here is a Shoppers Guide pdf file with a wallet size cutout of the list!

Dirty Dozen

Celery
Peaches
Strawberries
Apples
Blueberries
Nectarines
Bell Peppers
Spinach
Kale
Cherries
Potatoes
Grapes (imported)

Buy organic whenever possible- borderline foods

Lettuce
Carrots
Pears
Tomatoes*
Meats
Milk/Dairy
Coffee

Clean 15

Onions
Avocados
Corn
Pineapple
Mango
Asparagus
Peas
Kiwi
Cabbage
Eggplant
Papaya
Watermelon
Broccoli
Tomato*
Sweet Potatoes

*Tomatoes were on the "Dirty Dozen" list in 2009, and made the "Clean 15" in 2010...... doesn't really make sense to me. This website mentioned it as well with no reason given, but I would think it to be "borderline" enough that if I could find organic - or clean farmer grown- I would certainly lean this direction on them!

I would also be curious about the difference between regular potatoes and sweet potatoes seeing as one made the dirty list and one made the clean and I would think they would be pretty comparable! Any ideas?

Also, do you know if buying frozen vegetables off the dirty dozen list would affect the "ratings" at all? For example - is frozen chopped spinach "cleaner" then fresh spinach? Or blueberries? If I can't buy organic blueberries am I better off buying frozen blueberries then fresh conventionally grown? Let me know if you have read anything on this, I would be curious to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment