"So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy"
~Colossians 1:10-11

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Roasted Cabbage

One of my favorite crockpot side dishes - and really quick and easy too!
This is from A Year of Slow Cooking's blog - my notes or changes are in italics.

ROASTED CABBAGE

--1 small head of cabbage
--12-14 colorful baby potatoes (or regular potatoes.... or red ones..... I've used everything!)*
--10-12 whole cloves of garlic
--1/4 cup olive oil (maybe a little more, closer to a 1/3?)
--2 T balsamic vinegar (I use AT LEAST this, honestly I usually just pour over the top..... probably more like 1/4-1/3 of a cup!)
--1 t kosher salt
--1/2 t black pepper

*Depending on how much cabbage I have I would use maybe 2-3 cups largely diced potatoes, more like chunks and if I have carrots, I usually throw in 1-2 cups, again large chunks of those as well cause my boys love cooked carrots!

--wash vegetables
--cut potatoes into 1 inch chunks (I didn't peel them)
--cut cabbage into wedges--don't worry about separating the leaves (maybe 4-6 pieces depending on how large your cabbage is)
--throw veggies into the crockpot with the whole garlic cloves
--add olive oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar
--toss with hands to coat thoroughly.

DO NOT ADD WATER.
cook on high for 3 hours, low for 4-6. (I might cook mine a little longer..... closer to the 6 hrs? usually get it in by lunch time or sooner for dinner, BUT I am also at a higher altitude which might affect it too!)
the vegetables are done when the potatoes reach desired tenderness.
the cabbage will get a little caramelized and crispy around the edges where they touch the crock walls. That's okay--it tastes good!

This is wonderful hot of the crockpot, looks a little "wilted" the next day, but still tastes fine. I often will mix with some chicken or something and broth and make a veggie soup of some sort with the leftovers............. (or chop it smaller and feed it to my 11 month old!)


This post is linked to Sarah's Musings "For the love of a Slow Cooker" Carnival

1 comment:

  1. This is just my type of recipe! I love making braised and roasted cabbage this time of year and this looks perfect for a similar recipe, in your slow cooker! My favorite kind of recipe! Plus I love how you can throw in extra veggies from your fridge if you have them!

    Thank you so much for joining my carnival!

    Best,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete