"So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy"
~Colossians 1:10-11

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Quinoa Taco Salad


This post is part of "Pennywise Platter Thursday" over at


I love making "taco-seasoned" quinoa and I decided to get creative this week and I made it into a taco salad. It turned out pretty good. This recipe would probably feed 4 adults, or maybe closer to 6 with some kids in the mix. Keep in mind when you make it though, it doesn't keep well, make what you can eat 'cause the leftovers get pretty mushy!

Quinoa -
Cook 1 cup of dry quinoa according to the directions (2 cups boiling water, add 1 c. quinoa- simmer and cook till water is absorbed)

Add taco seasoning -
I usually do something along the following, but add what spices you like - it's pretty forgiving!

1 can tomato sauce
1-2 TB BBQ sauce, chipotle flavor is my favorite
couple dashs of Chipotle Tabasco hot sauce
2-3 TB chili powder
1-2 TB cumin (vary depending on your preference for hotness)
1-2 tsp garlic powder - or fresh garlic
1-2 tsp onion powder - or fresh onion (I like red onion best)

Mix throughly

Prepare 1 head of lettuce in a large bowl
Add a couple chopped tomatoes (fresh is best but especially in taco salad you could get away with canned if you had to, I would add to the quinoa above and mix there)
Add 1-2 cups crushed/broken up tortilla chips
Add 1 cup cheese
Add 1 cup of kidney or black beans
Add quinoa mixture

Mix everything together and serve immediately.

We all enjoyed this and even my 2 year old ate a full serving and my 4 year old declared it his favorite salad!



2 comments:

  1. That sounds lovely! We love quinoa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...thank you for sharing this recipe! I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete